Friday, February 6, 2009

Pre-Installation

Yesterday was a BIG day in the Lee household! The work is STILL in progress and should be finished this afternoon. James and I both took the morning off yesterday to meet the installers and watch them begin to rip up our floors. By the end of the day, they finished laying all the wood, but still have to finish the transitions and shoe moldings today.


I WILL say that our house is a complete mess. There is a THICK sheet of dust over EVERYTHING. We thought that closing the doors would at least protect the bedrooms. No ma'am. The dust is everywhere. We have A LOT of work ahead of us.

I don't have any wood pictures yet....they will come soon....but I DO have some pictures some of the "prep" work we had to do before they came.

Step #1 - To save money, we bought all the shoe molding this weekend from Home Depot. We sanded, primed, and painted them. You would have thought Tiger (my car) was in some kind of jousting match. Let's just say that transporting these long pieces of wood....was not easy.


Please note the red flag we put on the end. James insisted!

Step #2 - Remove all small furniture and accessories. This includes emptying out the buffet will all my china, James' bar, the entertainment center, and the refrigerator!


Step #3 - Pile ALL objects into spare bedrooms.


Step #4 - GRAFFITI the floors!!!! I've been secretly wanting to do this for weeks. I didn't tell James because I didn't want him to stress out. When he left to get breakfast yesterday morning....I went to town!! I REALLY wish I would have recorded his reaction. He was in pure disbelief as to why I wanted to do this. He also couldn't understand why I didn't just write something small....and why I had to completely cover the floors. My response: Go big or Go home!


Note: Now that you've seen the pictures. I can tell you a funny story from yesterday. The workers starting pulling up the linoleum pretty quickly. When one of the guys came to the doorway with my drawing of the "welcome mat".....he stopped....went to his supervisor (the supervisor was the only one who spoke English)...and asked if it was okay to pull it up. I saw this interaction happening ...and started laughing inside and told him it was a joke. I'm flattered that he thought my drawing was so "real". We obviously don't have the same sense of humor.

Step #4 - Picture of the house with all the flooring removed!


Step #5 - James and I had a nice romantic take-out dinner in the study. We had to disconnect our DVR, so this was the only way we could watch the Grey's/Private Practice special!


We definitely have our work cut out for us this weekend! As you can see, our house is a DISASTER zone. We just LOVE how everything looks so far. It's like a completely different house. I can't wait to start cleaning and putting it back together!!!! I will send before and after pictures soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!! It's going to look so good. I can't wait. I also literally laughed outloud that James tied the red flag because when I saw the picture I knew that was James' doing! I also feel certain Dave would do the same....Russells.

kristin fulghum said...

i love that you graffitied the floors. so fun. i can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

Katie Norwood said...

This is awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product. I also love that you took the opportunity to graffiti. Am I the only one who noticed you spelled "vinyl" wrong?! That was pretty much the icing on this post for me :-) Nice work!