Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Laisser les bons temps rouler!

Happy Mardi Gras Day!

To celebrate Fat Tuesday, I slaved in the kitchen all night to make a HOMEMADE King Cake to bring to work. It was not easy, but it was yummy!!! I used a recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs: Elizabeth's Edible Experience. (please note my first link!)

I didn't put a baby Jesus in it because I didn't want to answer questions all day long about why there is a plastic baby in the cake. You'd be surprised how many times I've explained the tradition of the King Cake and the three wise men's journey to find baby Jesus....AND it would be just my luck that someone would choke on it!

My grandmother used to mail a us King Cake when we lived in Canada from a famous New Orleans bakery. We would get to eat a piece for breakfast before school and it was sooo good! Let me tell you...this recipe did NOT disappoint.

I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product before I took a piece. ..or before I chopped half of it to take to work! haha.

Time to start thinking about what to give up for Lent....Ash Wednesday is tomorrow!

2 comments:

Team LC said...

Okay I read that blog, too, and saw the recipe and wondered if it was good. I'm so impressed with you for pulling it off!!! I thought about making it myself and then decided that I just didn't have time, but I freaking LOVE me some King Cake!

Kate said...

Hi Allison! Thanks so much for your comment-- I would love to send you the listing, but our house is under contract!! We got an offer less than 24 hrs on the market, so we are pretty excited. It will be nice not to have to worry about it with the move to Beaumont and all. I love your blog- so cute! Hope you are doing well!
Kate