Friday, August 22, 2008

Recipe: My Famous Cake Balls

Over the past 1 ½ years, I’ve been perfecting my cake ball recipe. This recipe is so easy and makes the perfect dessert for road trips, pot-luck work parties or birthdays. You get a big bite of yummy cake and icing mixture without the mess. At work, they refer to them as “crack balls” because everyone craves for more. I’ve been asked for the recipe so many times that I thought I would officially spread the word.

The picture below is from Emily and Kevin’s birthday a few weeks ago. Kevin is a HUGE fan of cake balls!


Ingredients
1 box of cake mix, your preference
1 tub of frosting, again, your preference
1 pkg. almond bark, chocolate or vanilla

Directions
Make whatever flavor box cake according to directions, in a 9X13 pan. Let cool for a few minutes.

While it’s still a bit warm, crumble cake in a BIG bowl and add a tub of store bought frosting.

Mix until it becomes like a dough. (cake and frosting evenly mixed) My favorite is yellow cake with classic vanilla icing or cream cheese icing. I’ve also tried chocolate on chocolate and that’s good too!

Put the bowl in the fridge for an hour or so until the mixture hardens. It’s easier to make the balls after the mixture has hardened…some people might skip this step if they are in a rush.

Take the mixture and make balls with your hands laying them out on foil or wax paper.

Melt almond bark in bowl in the microwave. I usually do half of the package at a time. Make sure it’s almond bark and not baking chocolate. At HEB, they come in a tray of 12 squares in a red plastic package (~1.99). Also, clean the bowl before you melt the next 6 squares….the left over chocolate will burn in the microwave. This also makes for a smoother coating.

Dip cakeballs into melted bark with a spoon & set on wax paper to dry. I usually spin the ball around a bit in the chocolate with my spoon to completely cover.

It makes about 30-40.…depending on size. YUMMY!

4 comments:

allison said...

I so wish you had pictures of the cupcakes you made for Laura!!!! Those were super cute too! I've eaten many a cake ball but never made them. I'll have to check it out.

Sarah D. said...

How have I been your friend for 5 years and never had a cake ball? Yo no comprende...

I'll have to check these things out... sound divine!

keely said...

ummm, we looooooove cake balls and have them at all our friends' showers, but I don't have the recipe, so you just made my day! by the way, in beaumont they are known as "crack" balls as well! :)

Unknown said...

I made the chocolate on chocolate on chocolate last night and they are yummy!! I like them best cold, so I keep them refrigerated. Great recipe Bradley!!