Monday, August 18, 2008

JP, the Intern

When we first got our intern’s resume from the HR department, his first name was listed as Jonathan Paul. However when I saw that his experience included “Abercrombie model & retail”, I was certain he went by JP. That just sounds more Abercrombie model-ish. I was extremely disappointed when he introduced himself as Jonathan.

He was pretty shy on his first day, so I decided not to ask him about his modeling career right off the bat. I’ve seen one of those catalogues…those models don’t wear clothes so I didn’t want to embarrass him! After a week or so, he showed up to work in a wrinkled button-down with slouchy khakis…the perfect intro!

Me: “Morning, Jonathan. Nice shirt. Did you by chance get that at Abercrombie? I know how they like that ‘wrinkle’ effect.” (I realize that this comment immediately aged myself)

Jonathan: “huh huh. Yeah, how did you know?”

Me: “Oh well, I figured you get a good discount. Don’t you work there? I saw something on your resume.” (very nonchalant)

Jonathan: “Yeah, I do..it’s okay.”

Me: “Don’t you do some modeling for them too?” (trying not to laugh)

Jonathan: “oh…yeah…just a few times”.

Me: “Cool. I think you should go by JP. It sounds more “Abercrombie””.

Jonathan: “Okay”

Me: “Okay, I’m calling you JP from now on…JP”


End of conversation.

I’m assuming that after he dropped the subject, I shouldn’t pry too much more. I’m guessing that he’s probably the type of model that stands in front of the store without a shirt on. Probably not something you want to talk about at your professional internship.

Meet Intern JP – taking a shift at the front desk

It’s been pretty quiet around here this summer, so it’s been hard to find projects for him to work on. Two weeks ago, I had to overnight a bunch of invitations. I had all the labels printed and just needed JP to stuff, seal and sticker each envelop. Easy, right? Well after an hour or so, I went to go check on him and this is what I saw:

That might look fine until you see the other side of the envelope. CLEARLY, the sticker goes on that side. It only says “Place label here” in bold. I THOUGHT it was pretty self-explanatory and I didn’t need to go over every detail, but I was wrong. JP disappointed me big time. I know I can be anal about a few things, but anyone would agree that THIS would drive you crazy!

From that point on, I began referring to him as “intern” and told him that he has a lot of work to do to redeem himself around here. I also told him that I think he should stick to his day job as a model.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HA HA! Homeboy was dissed and dismissed! Bradley has no use for such shenanigans.

Kristen said...

Allison, this is hilarious! I love that he let you take his picture. Poor JP, the labels can get confusing...

Katie Norwood said...

This is hilarious. I love your devotion to the blog that you bring your camera to work and snap pictures of UPS envelopes that you deem blog-worthy. Keep up the good work. I've always thought Abercombie was shady. My mom didn't allow me to look at those catalogs as a kid. She always threw them out. It was right up there with MTV on the immorality scale. But maybe JP is turning over a new leaf :-)

Elicia said...

That is hilarious! Poor JP, that must have been his first time to mail something other than a letter...he probably has a mom that did everything for him.