Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Cake!

2009 SUPER BOWL CAKE!!!!

After slaving in the kitchen for two hours on Sunday, I finally completed the infamous 2009 Super Bowl Cake. I have to say that I'm pretty proud of myself. I wish the writing was a bit better, but you just can't control those aerosol icing pumps like you used to. The field was yellow cake and the football was chocolate (all 50% less sugar)...so people had a choice. My initial plan was to put the football in the middle of the cake. However, the field came out smaller than I had invisioned...and the football was much bigger than I thought. I had to improvise.

I WISH I would have taken a picture of the kitchen. It was a disaster. If you have never been in our house, our kitchen is completely white. When you so much so much as drop a coffee drip on the counter, it stains. Therefore, you can imagine what the counter looked like with all that food coloring and icing. It took 6 different bowls alone to make all the colors, and I also used an ENTIRE roll of paper towls. I didn't want to ruin or stain one of my good dishtowls...so every time I had to wipe my hands....off came another paper towel! haha.

Every time that James would walk past the kitchen and shake his head....I just told him that I am practicing for when we have kids. I'm gonna save us money by making homemade birthday cakes...and not having to buy the fancy ones! :)

Anyone an "Ace of Cakes" fan out there? I think good ol Duff at Charm City Cakes would have been pleased! I tried to "shave" the cake into a football like they do on the show, but let me tell you folks....it's not as easy as it looks.

As for the Super Bowl, I got into the actual game with about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. I'm totally bummed that the Cardinals lost. I also thought the half-time show was lame and the commercials were boring. I DID think that Jennifer Hudson did an AMAZING job singing the national anthem though.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

This is hilarious...baking is hard work! It looks yumm-o :)

kristin fulghum said...

i love it!! i am taking a cake decorating class right now and let me tell you...that looks a lot better than the cake i made last week. good work!